Friday, March 28, 2014

An Honest Cover Letter

Unemployed Person
The Suburbs
My Parents’ House
3/28/14

An Organization I Saw Online
Trendy Neighborhood
Any Large Metropolitan Area

Just In Case Someone Reads This,
            I am writing to inform you that I am unemployed and have been for a period of time that is now beginning to look bad on my resume.  I learned about the exciting new opportunity available at your organization when I briefly checked idealist.org while taking a break from watching Netflix and eating a snack in my bed.  As soon as I read the job description I knew that it would be the perfect match for me because it is actually a salaried position that does not require a masters degree.  I feel confident that I could do the job adequately, but I am also aware that a multitude of much more qualified candidates will apply and I will never receive so much as a confirmation that you received this application.
            I attended a college and worked at other jobs in the past.  Most of the responsibilities and required skills at my last job are not relevant to the position I am currently applying for, but over the last few months I have become very skilled at making it sound like they are.  In the past I had specific career goals and a passionate commitment to certain things.  An extended period of unemployment has left me unable to recall what those things were at this time.  Were I able to do so, I would eloquently make connections between those things and the values mentioned in the mission statement on your website.
            I would describe myself as detail-oriented, proactive, culturally competent, flexible, organized, fun and even cute if that helps.  In fact I am willing to go so far as to assert that I am extremely gifted, experienced in everything, possess rare talents, am perfect, and can be accurately described by any other positive sounding adjectives that you deem desirable in a candidate for this position.  I am eager to confirm that I am comfortable working under pressure in a fast paced environment, possess strong communication skills, and I will even say that I work well as a member of a team as well as independently even though that seems like it’s probably a contradiction for most people.  In short, I am committed to describing my skills and work habits in whatever way sounds best.
Although the job application process had gradually but decidedly worn away at my self-confidence and sense of ambition, I maintain hope that if someone would contact me for an interview I would at least be able to feel things again.  Accordingly, I look forward to hearing back from you regarding this job opening, another job opening at your organization, or literally any job opening anywhere ever.  I appreciate your time and consideration, since being unemployed is the worst and you have the power to save me.

Desperately,

An Unemployed Person

No comments:

Post a Comment